Cider-braised pork with cream and mushrooms
Time: 45 minutes
This is a Delia Smith recipe, from her book One Is Fun, which is unfortunately out of print.
- 2 loin pork chops
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 oz / 100 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 6 fl oz / 150 ml dry cider
- 2 tbsp cream
- butter, oil
- Melt a little butter with a spoonful of oil in a pan. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper, and brown them to a nice golden colour on both sides.
- Remove the chops to a plate, throw in the onion, mushrooms and garlic, and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Move the chopped vegetables to one side, put the chops back in the pan and cover with the mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle the herbs on top, pour in the cider and turn the heat down so it is barely simmering.
- Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat up, remove the lid and add the cream. Let it bubble until the sauce has reduced a little, then serve the chops with the sauce poured over the top.