Chilli con carne
Time: 45 mins
- 250g minced beef
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pepper, chopped (red or green, doesn’t matter)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 140g tin tomato purée
- 400g tin red kidney beans, drained
- 2 rat’s turd chillies (those tiny dried reddish ones), ground with a pestle & mortar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½–1 tsp each dried thyme, marjoram, oregano
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Grated cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- Stock cube
- Fry mince with no extra fat until it starts to go a bit brown and crispy around the edges. A non-stick frying pan is best for this. Remove to a plate.
- Fry the onion and carrot in olive oil until softish (5-10 mins).
- Put the mince, onion and carrot into a casserole or saucepan, along with enough water to cover, and the garlic, herbs, spices, Worcestershire sauce and stock cube.
- Cook until the carrots are completely soft (20 mins or so).
- Add the tomato purée, chopped pepper and kidney beans and cook gently until the pepper is soft (about 15 mins). Check for salt.
- Serve topped with grated cheese and chopped coriander