Boozy browned onion gravy
Time: ½ hour or so
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan, add the onions and cook very gently until they are golden and soft.
- Continue cooking, with the lid on, until they are brown and soft enough to crush between your fingers.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes, then add the liquids.
- Season with S&P and Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down so that the gravy bubbles gently and leave for about fifteen minutes, stirring from time to time.
Nigel Slater does his stuff again. I took liberties with the nature of the booze (what’s the point in being narrow-minded?). Nige uses this on toad in the hole. I use it on mashed potatoes.