Basic vinaigrette dressing
Time: 5 mins
Servings: enough for one meal, more or less.
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp finely chopped garlic (optional, but good)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (coarse or fine)
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar (red or white)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Whisk the whole lot together until the salt and sugar are dissolved. A small balloon whisk works much better than a fork for this. I find that the shake-it-all-up-in-a-jam-jar method, although it has many adherents, tends to leave the mustard unmixed.
Being quite tangy, this dressing works well with the scarier varieties of salad leaf (rocket, radicchio, endive, etc.). Play around with different varieties of oil, vinegar and mustard.