Time: 10 minutes + 30 minutes baking
- 225g / 9oz plain flour
- 150g / 6oz butter
- 75g / 3oz sugar
Or, simply, 3 parts flour, 2 parts butter, 1 part sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC / 325ºF.
- Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl, rub in the butter.
- Knead well to form a smooth paste.
- Divide into two and shape into two circles, approximately 7″ across and ½” thick.
- Prick the top all over with a fork and mark into portions with a knife.
- Bake at 160ºC / 325ºF for 30 minutes or so, until pale golden.
- Leave for five minutes or so, then cool completely on a wire tray.