Red kidney bean and pasta soup
Time: 30 minutes, give or take
Servings: 2 as a main course
- 1 tin (400g) red kidney beans, drained
- 50g small pasta shapes (e.g. macaroni. Broken spaghetti will do too)
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped or crushed
- Cook the chopped onion and garlic in olive oil until softened.
- Pour in about 1 litre of water, the tomato purée, basil and kidney beans.
- Cook, covered, for 15 mins.
- Remove about half of the solid bits and purée them in a blender (or put it through a mouli. Return the purée to the pan.
- Add the pasta and some salt, and boil until the pasta is done (about another 10 minutes).
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese, lots of ground black pepper, and some nice fresh bread.
This comes from Delia Smith’s One is fun.