Pumpkin soup with Gruyère cheese
Time: 1 hour
Servings: 2 as a main course, 3-4 as a starter
- 500g pumpkin, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk
- 2 oz Gruyère or other full-flavoured cheese, grated
- salt, pepper
- dried thyme and sage
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herb such as parsley, chervil or thyme
- Sweat the onion and garlic in butter until soft and golden.
- Add the grated pumpkin and vegetable stock (or water with a vegetable stock cube) to cover, along with about a teaspoon each of dried thyme and sage, a pinch of nutmeg and salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for about ½ hour.
- Blend till smooth and add the milk. Check the seasoning, and add a pinch of sugar if you think it needs it. Cook for about 15 more minutes, with the lid off if you want a thicker texture, or on if it’s already thick enough.
- Just before serving, stir in the grated cheese and chopped chervil or thyme.