Pulled pork fajitas
Time: 4 hours (plus 10 minutes hands-on time at the beginning and end)
For the pulled pork:
- 1.5 to 2 kg pork shoulder, bone in
- 3 tbsp herb and spice mix (make your own or use ready-made)
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the fajitas:
- flour tortillas
- sliced cucumbers, peppers, lettuce
- grated cheese
- salsa, sour cream, guacamole
- Preheat your oven as hot as it will go.
- Coat the pork all over with olive oil.
- Rub the pork with the spice mix, salt and pepper.
- Put in the oven, uncovered, and turn heat down immediately to 160ºC / 320ºF / gas 3.
- Cook for 3.5–4 hours, until the meat pulls apart easily.
To serve, pull the meat off the bone and, using a sharp knife, cut into 2–3 cm chunks, slicing across the grain. These chunks can then be pulled apart with a pair of forks. Any hard, crispy (I didn’t say burnt) bits can be chopped up finely. Pile it all onto a plate, making sure the crispy bits are well distributed.
Put all the ingredients on the table and let everyone assemble their own fajitas.