Leek and pasta bake
Time: 1 hour
To make this go further, you can add a chopped carrot with the leeks at the beginning, and stir in a tin of red kidney beans with the chopped tomatoes.
- 50–100g pasta per person
- 500g leeks (prepared weight), sliced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100g mushrooms, chopped
- dried herbs (e.g. oregano, basil, thyme, sage)
- Marmite or Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g grated cheese
- dried breadcrumbs
- In an ovenproof dish sweat the leeks and mushrooms in a little olive oil or butter until softened (about 10 mins).
- Add the tinned tomatoes, herbs, a dash of Marmite or Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Simmer gently for 15 minutes, until it’s not too watery, then remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta in boiling salted water until just tender (it’ll cook some more in the oven) and drain.
- Stir the beaten egg into the tomato mixture to thicken it, add the drained pasta and mix well. Sprinkle the grated cheese and breadcrumbs on top.
- Cook at 200ºC for 30 minutes, or until the top is brown and crispy.