Green and spicy rice
Time: 15 mins
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped into thin rounds (green parts included)
- 1 tsp dark mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup (about 7 oz) basmati rice
- Fry the onions in some olive oil until they start to soften.
- Throw in the mustard and cumin seeds and sauté until they start to give off an enticingly ethnic aroma.
- Add the rice and continue to stir until it’s opaque and has started to go brown.
- Add 1½ cups of cold water (1½ times the volume of rice) and some salt.
- Bring to the boil then turn the heat down very low. Cook until the water has all been absorbed and the rice is tender (about 10 minutes, usually). If it goes dry before the rice is cooked, add a little more water.