Time: 15 minutes
You can’t get simpler than this. Make sure your scallops are good and fresh and you can’t go wrong.
- 8 juicy scallops with their roes / coral
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 50g / 2 oz butter
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- a small handful of parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, halved, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan until it starts to sizzle. Season the scallops with sea salt and black pepper, then drop them into the oil. Do not move them for at least a minute. During this time they will form a sticky, golden crust on their underside.
- Peep to check the crust is there, then turn them over and cook the other side. They should be done in two or three minutes.
- Whip them out quickly and put on to hot plates.
- Add the butter to the pan. When it starts to foam add the garlic. Swirl the garlic around in the pan, throw in the parsley and, while all is frothing, pour the sauce over the scallops.
- Serve immediately, with the lemon halves.
This is a Nigel Slater classic. Simple but glorious, from Real Food.